
The Australian casino industry was聽thrust into the unwanted regulatory spotlight in 2021聽when James Packer鈥檚 glittering Crown was scorched by the聽,聽which uncovered a business model based on Chinese junkets, predatory business planning, money laundering and links to organised crime.
The inquiry contagion quickly spread to Packer鈥檚 only mainland rival, Star Entertainment Group, which has casinos in Gadigal Country/Sydney, Magan-djin/Brisbane and Kombumerri/Gold Coast.
The casino regulator, NSW Independent Casino Commission (NICC), announced in September 2021 it would conduct a聽review of .听
The review, activated under聽, began in November 2021, under Adam Bell SC.
The first Bell report,聽in聽found The Star, Sydney, was also unsuitable to hold a casino licence in NSW, parading a line-up of all the usual suspects, revealing egregious violations of the聽, disregard of responsible gambling and high-risk vulnerable customer controls and a corporate culture of open聽.
Consequently, on October 17, 2022, the NICC announced聽it had suspended The Star, Sydney鈥檚 licence indefinitely, issued a fine of $100 million and appointed Nicholas Weeks as manager for 90 days, later extended to January this year, allowing the operation to stay open.
Previously chief operating officer of the National Rugby League, Weeks took a redundancy in 2021 and was immediately hired by Crown to manage its regulatory response to the Bergin Inquiry.听
The Star, Sydney then endured two years of upheaval, yet despite extensive remediation plans, progress was so slow that, last聽聽a second Bell Inquiry was announced.
罢丑别听听飞补蝉听.听
Bell Two found The Star, Sydney still unfit to hold a casino licence and identified聽additional serious compliance breaches. 聽
The NICC issued it with a 鈥渟how cause鈥 notice, giving it 14 days to explain why its casino licence should not be torn up.
聽鈥淭he notice relates to four significant breaches 鈥 including 鈥 a cash fraud against The Star, a failure to run source of wealth checks on hundreds of members flagged as high risk, and fraudulent guest welfare entries that put already vulnerable customers at higher risk of harm.鈥
There were serious breaches of three-hour limits on patrons gambling without a break, as well as the cash fraud worth $3.2 million relating to a 鈥渢icket in, cash out鈥 software glitch that allowed Star clients to claim funds they had not won.
It became obvious in a public hearing聽on April 15聽why rehabilitation had been so slow.
Prosecutors presented communications between then-Star chairman David Foster and former CEO Robbie Cooke outlining their desire to oust Weeks, who the NICC had appointed manager in 2022 to oversee The Star, Sydney鈥檚 redemption. 聽
Discussions included how to get rid of him, included possible legal action against Weeks personally and against the NICC and canvassing options for shareholder class actions over the inevitable revenue write-downs.
It was a Bergin-like bombshell which, Weeks said, took him 鈥渂y surprise鈥.
Foster and Cooke were quickly dumped but it was too little, too late.
Win some, lose (way) more
It was starting to look like, this time, The Star, Sydney might not get away with it. By September 27, its聽by more than 50% to a record low as it resumed trading the day after posting a second straight multi-billion-dollar annual loss, wiping $1.4 billion from the value of its three casinos.
Now in serious financial trouble, the company blamed 鈥渃hallenging trading conditions鈥 and regulatory changes 鈥 including mandatory cashless gambling.
The Star Entertainment Group is also facing聽,聽with the聽聽over its connection to Chinese junket operators.
Star told the Australian Securities Exchange it would continue to work with stakeholder and advisers about its financial condition. 鈥淭hese discussions are ongoing and involve, among others, state governments, regulators and the company鈥檚 lenders,鈥 it said.
The NICC announced the outcome of those discussions and its decision on Star鈥檚 show cause notice and licence suspension on October 10.听
With a now-or-never opportunity to force real reform of great community benefit, the NICC聽decided聽, citing a potential 9000 job losses across three venues and damage to associated businesses if Star went under. The NICC ruled that keeping Star operating was 鈥渋n the public interest鈥.
NICC Chief Commissioner Crawford said, without a hint of irony: 鈥淚t would be a very, very final act to take the licence away, particularly given the current economic times.鈥
While The Star, Sydney鈥檚 licence remains suspended, the fine was reduced to a small change $15 million (with nine months to pay). It has been given another extension to operate until next聽March 31, coinciding with the end of Weeks鈥 current term.
The NICC response indicates that these parasitic operations will never be shut down, the regulator having squandered the single, fleeting opportunity to force real reform.
The whole affair has again shown corporate criminals聽just how much they can get away with聽and how little governments and regulators really care about the ordinary people, whose communities continue to聽pay the price.
[Suzanne James is a policy, governance, risk management and compliance consultant.]