Chile鈥檚 constitutional referendum undermined by right-wing disinformation campaign

September 7, 2022
Issue 
Yo Apruebo rally in Chile
A huge mobilisation of supporters for the draft constitution in the capital Santiago ahead of the referendum. Photo: @rduqueoyarce/Twitter

Chileans voted on a new draft constitution on September 4. Within hours, it became clear that 62% of voters had rejected the document.

The draft would have replaced Chile鈥檚 current constitution聽鈥 introduced in 1980 during the United States-backed military dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet 鈥 which favours neoliberalism and denies constitutional rights to Indigenous people and women.

Less than two years ago, 79% of Chileans voted to change their constitution.

The proposed constitution 鈥 drafted by a 155-member gender-equal Constitutional Convention 鈥 would have enshrined gender parity in public institutions, Indigenous self-determination, universal healthcare, the rights of nature and nationalised public education.

Since the Convention was established in July last year, right-wing groups embarked on a campaign of disinformation to undermine support for the 鈥淎pprove鈥 vote.

Right-wing senator Felipe Kast 鈥 son of Miguel Kast, who served under Pinochet 鈥 in June that the new constitution would permit abortions up to the ninth month of a pregnancy.

In reality, the draft constitution codified the guarantee of reproductive rights while leaving the specific details of any abortion laws to legislators.

Other fake news that the new constitution would allow money to be taken away from pensioners, people鈥檚 houses to be seized and the national flag to be changed.

A website mimicking the Convention鈥檚 website that the draft constitution鈥檚 provisions against water privatisation would prohibit people from buying bags of ice or bottled water.

Conservative mainstream media helped fuel the spread of disinformation and distortions in the lead-up to the plebiscite.

Corporations, often representing entrenched neoliberal interests, own of media outlets in Chile. Media conglomerates El Mercurio and Copesa more than 90% of newspapers.

There were coordinated media attacks against Convention members and particularly its president Elisa Lonc贸n, a Mapuche woman and Indigenous rights activist.

Even US House of Representatives members wrote an to the CEOs of Facebook, Twitter and TikTok on September 2 to express 鈥済rave and urgent concerns about disinformation鈥 being shared on social media about the proposed constitution.

鈥淐hilean journalists have meticulously documented what amounts to a 鈥榙igital war鈥 against the Constitutional Convention in an attempt to delegitimise and discredit the proposed constitution,鈥 the letter said.

鈥淓ven more troubling, these attacks often use hate speech to target women and Indigenous leaders of the Convention.鈥

鈥淔rom day one, the campaign against the new constitution manipulated what I said and sowed lies,鈥 Lonc贸n said. 鈥淲hat they want is to silence and minimise us. All of the Mapuche women in the convention were subject to these attacks.鈥

Chilean President Gabriel Boric to continue working on 鈥渁 new constituent assembly plan that will produce a text that takes into account what鈥檚 been learned in this process, and better interpret the will of the vast majority of the citizenry鈥.

You need 一品探花, and we need you!

一品探花 is funded by contributions from readers and supporters. Help us reach our funding target.

Make a One-off Donation or choose from one of our Monthly Donation options.

Become a supporter to get the digital edition for $5 per month or the print edition for $10 per month. One-time payment options are available.

You can also call 1800 634 206 to make a donation or to become a supporter. Thank you.