Claims of antisemitism an attempt to distract from Israel鈥檚 鈥榠ndefensible鈥 war crimes

December 16, 2024
Issue 
Thousands of protesters march agasint Israel鈥檚 genocide every week in Naarm/Melbourne and Gadigal Country/Sydney. Photo: Conor McLeod

For the 62nd consecutive week in a row, mass demonstrations against Israel鈥檚 genocide in Gaza and ongoing occupations in Palestine, Lebanon and Syria took place in in major cities, while smaller actions were held in some regional areas.

Speakers at the rally in Gadigal Country/Sydney on December 15 rejected the call by Jillian Segal, the Labor-appointed 鈥渟pecial envoy to combat antisemitism鈥, to ban the weekly pro-Palestine protests from city centres and her labelling of them as 鈥渋ntimidatory鈥.

They also derided Australia鈥檚 December 12 vote for a United Nations General Assembly resolution calling for an 鈥渋mmediate, unconditional and permanent ceasefire鈥 in Gaza as belated and not supported by its other actions.

One of these speakers was outspoken anti-Zionist Jewish academic and activist Peter Slezak, whose mother was a survivor of Auschwitz.听

He said Zionists were attempting to distract attention from Israel鈥檚 鈥渋ndefensible鈥 war crimes by launching a 鈥渉ysterical campaign to combat an alleged rise in antisemitism鈥.

Slezak said the argument that criticism of Israel is antisemitic has a long history and was a deliberate 鈥渄eception鈥 by Zionists.

鈥淚t desecrates the memory of my parents and other real victims of antisemitism when it is weaponised to silence justified criticism of Israel鈥檚 crimes,鈥 Slezak explained.

A surprise speaker at the rally was WA Senator Fatima Payman, who resigned from Labor earlier this year over the Anthony Albanese government鈥檚 refusal to denounce Israel鈥檚 genocide.

鈥溾楾hank you for being the conscience of our nation. Thank you for speaking truth to power,鈥 she told the crowd.

鈥淲hen it comes to the genocide, there is no moral ambiguity. There is no confusion, this is a genocide and this government is 14 months too late from recognising it鈥

鈥淥nly now do they start to issue empty statements and [and vote for] all these UN resolutions 鈥 because they are scared of your power. They are scared because you have marched every single weekend, rain or shine,鈥 Payman said.

鈥淵ou have shown this government what it means to be on the right side of history.鈥

Other speakers included Emmy-nominated journalist Ahmed Shihab Eldin, Palestinian school student Noura Hussein and Associate Professor Jumana Bayeh from Macquarie University. The rally was co-chaired by Jana Fayyad and Damian Ridgeway from the Palestine Action Group.

Thousands marched in the hot sun from the State Library in Naarm/Melbourne for the 62nd consecutive week of protests in solidarity with the Palestinian people.听

Speakers, including Palestinian activist Tasnim Sammak and feminist author and activist Clementine Ford, discussed the fall of the Bashar al-Assad regime in Syria, connecting the hope of freedom for the Syrian people with Israel鈥檚 ongoing regional warmongering.

Sammak compared the systems of oppression used by the Assad regime to the systems used by the Zionist state of Israel, systems brought from above to control those below them, and expressed solidarity with the people of Syria and Palestine.

melb_01_conor_mcleod.jpg

Naarm/Melbourne. Photo: Conor McLeod

Ford spoke of the ongoing horrors that have been witnessed throughout the 鈥渓ivestreamed鈥 genocide, rallying against calls for her to 鈥渟tay in her lane鈥. She said no 鈥減roximity to brutality鈥 would make the deaths of children acceptable to her.听

The protest took place under the additional threat of a Victoria Police imposed 鈥渄esignated zone鈥, which gives police powers to stop, search and move people on. There was also a small Zionist rally at Parliament House earlier that day.

Australia Palestine Advocacy Network president Nasser Mashni, as MC, shared with the crowd the importance of an inclusive movement that embraces diversity, ending with 鈥渋f you are full of hate, piss off鈥.

melb_02_nasser_mashni_speaks_conor_mcleod.jpg

APAN president Nasser Mashni adresses the Naarm/Melbourne rally. Photo: Conor McLeod

Steve O鈥橞rien reports that fortnightly rallies and marches in support听of Palestine continued from December 8 in Muloobinba/Newcastle.

These mobilisations are in addition to weekly pickets outside the office of federal Labor MPs Sharon Claydon and Pat Conroy.

Protests are also being organised outside the Nupress factory in Cardiff, which supplies critical parts for the F-35, some of which are used by Israel in Gaza.

pro-palestine_march_wollongong_14.12.2024_112web.jpg

Rally in Tharawal/Wollongong. Photo: Indrek Torilo

jao_48_peter_b.jpg

Anti-Zionist Jewish group Jews Against the Occupation 鈥48 at the rally in Gadigal Country/Sydney. Photo: Peter Boyle

palestine_rally_sydney_01_peter.jpg

Zionists are trying to equate criticism of Israel with antisemtism. Photo: Peter Boyle

pro-palestine_march_wollongong_14.12.2024_14web.jpg

Bisalloy Steel arms genocide. Photo: Indrek Torilo

You need 一品探花, and we need you!

一品探花 is funded by contributions from readers and supporters. Help us reach our funding target.

Make a One-off Donation or choose from one of our Monthly Donation options.

Become a supporter to get the digital edition for $5 per month or the print edition for $10 per month. One-time payment options are available.

You can also call 1800 634 206 to make a donation or to become a supporter. Thank you.