NSW government makes last-ditch effort to stop People鈥檚 Blockade

November 16, 2024
Issue 
Frankie, a 12-year-old climate activist, says she is 鈥榙evastated鈥 that NSW Labor are trying to stop the People鈥檚 Blockade. Photo: Rising Tide

The New South Wales government has made a last-ditch attempt to stop people from blockading of the world鈥檚 largest coal port by designating Muloobinba/Newcastle Harbour an 鈥渆xclusion zone鈥 for the designated weekend.

Transport for NSW issued the exclusion zone under the聽Marine Safety Act 1998.聽It means anyone entering the water within the zone at the proscribed times could face a maximum $1100 fine.

It includes waters around the Port of Newcastle, Stockton Beach, Nobby鈥檚 Beach and Newcastle Beach from 5pm on November 21 to 8am on November 25.

Even those wanting to take a dip at these beaches during these times could face fines.

Frankie, a 12-year-old climate activist, said she was 鈥渄evastated鈥.

鈥淚 was so excited to go out on the water and paddle with my friends and most importantly making my voice heard.鈥 She said it was 鈥渞eally confusing鈥 that her right to protest was being taken away.

Rising Tide spokesperson Zach Schofield said Labor was trying to 鈥渦ndermine peaceful protest鈥 and that it was 鈥渃omplete overreach鈥 from the premier.

鈥淲e have a right to protest on public land and water; we are going to be exercising that right and we encourage people to come and get involved.鈥

Frankie said Rising Tide had been working hard to ensure the blockade was 鈥渇un, safe, family friendly and enjoyable for everyone鈥. She accused the government of 鈥渢hrowing a tantrum鈥 and asked why it wasn鈥檛 listening to climate science 鈥渙r reason鈥.

NSW Greens MP Kobi Shetty said the decision is 鈥渁nother attempt to deter protesters under the cover of vague and unsubstantiated 鈥榮afety鈥 concerns鈥. She said Labor should be 鈥渟pending less time trying to criminalise protest and more time trying to work towards addressing the climate crisis鈥.

Labor latest effort to stop the climate protest follows its urging of the聽NSW Police to appeal Rising Tide鈥檚 form 1 document in the NSW Supreme Court. It did successfully but the court did not ban the protest.聽Rising Tide said it聽聽鈥 although protesters would kayak closer to shore.

This seems to have prompted Minns鈥 next attempt to stop people peacefully expressing their concerns about the adverse impact of coal and gas mining.

However, not all authorities are against the protest. The City of Newcastle announced on November 13 that protesters had permission to set up marquees, toilets and other infrastructure in a nearby park.

Newly elected Mayor Ross Kerridge had attended last year鈥檚 Rising Tide event and was impressed by its professionalism and organisers鈥 鈥渃ommitment to ensuring a safe event with a focus on climate change鈥.

"City of Newcastle received 123 submissions on Rising Tide鈥檚 request to hold an event at Camp Shortland. Almost 75% of these submissions were supportive of the event.鈥

Rising Tide said the workshops and training would to go ahead, as well as live performances from artists including Dobby, Angie McMahon, John Butler and Peter Garrett.

鈥淲e鈥檙e fighting for a safe climate. This is the hottest year in human history and we have seen climate breakdown all around the world,鈥 Schofield said.

鈥淲e鈥檙e also fighting for the Hunter 鈥 less than 2% of the coal royalties created here come back to the Hunter to fund the transition [to renewables].鈥

Rising Tide is also asking supporters to contact Minns, Newcastle MP Tim Crakanthorp and transport minister Darren Wood to ask them to reverse their decision on the exclusion zone.

[Follow Rising Tide on聽聽for updates. Register for the People鈥檚 Blockade聽.]

You need 一品探花, and we need you!

一品探花 is funded by contributions from readers and supporters. Help us reach our funding target.

Make a One-off Donation or choose from one of our Monthly Donation options.

Become a supporter to get the digital edition for $5 per month or the print edition for $10 per month. One-time payment options are available.

You can also call 1800 634 206 to make a donation or to become a supporter. Thank you.