
The fallout from聽former Deputy Premier John Barilaro鈥檚 attempt to snare a plum New York trade commissioner job continues with damning new revelations almost every week.
The New South Wales Coalition government is moving聽into damage control and聽the Labor opposition can hardly believe its luck, given an election is in March.
Ministers apologising for their 鈥渆rrors of judgment鈥 resembles the lead-up to the electoral disaster that聽befell the Labor government more than a decade ago and which has been a major factor in keeping it out of office in NSW聽since.
The NSW Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) recently 聽against former Labor finance minister Joe Tripodi, former planning minister Tony Kelly, Labor powerbroker Eddie Obeid (already in jail for separate matters) and Kelly鈥檚 former chief-of-staff Gilbert 鈥淟aurie鈥 Brown. They are accused of falsifying a Labor cabinet submission about a proposed multi-million-dollar sewerage and water deal.
鈥淭he sense of deja vu is also provoked in another way,鈥 the Sydney Morning Herald opined on July 22. 鈥淭he current Coalition government somewhat resembles Kristina Keneally鈥檚 [Labor] government in 2011 in that it is so busy dealing with cascading scandals over its integrity and honesty that it has no free air to pursue its own agenda.鈥
The pressure is starting to build up on the Dominic Perrottet government.
The (ICAC) recommended on July 20 the DPP consider charging Drummoyne Independent MP John Sidoti for 鈥渟erious corrupt conduct鈥澛, to improperly influence City of Canada Bay Liberal councillors to benefit his family鈥檚 property interests in Five Dock from 2013鈥2017.
Perrottet wants Sidoti to quit, but the former Liberal maintains he is innocent.
ICAC is also looking into former Premier Gladys Berejiklian and the business ventures of Daryl Maguire, her former secret boyfriend. ICAC has extended its investigations until end of October.
Meanwhile, 聽described the scandal engulfing him and the government as a 鈥渟hit show鈥. He was appointed to a聽$500,000-a-year New York job聽after deputy secretary of Investment NSW Jenny West had been told she had the position. She was later sacked and told it was going to someone 鈥渁s a present鈥.
Barilaro withdrew from the position in June, as the pressure grew from the parliamentary inquiry聽probing the scandal. The inquiry also led to Deputy Premier Stuart Ayres standing down amid聽allegations of improper conduct during the selection process.
The inquiry into Barilaro鈥檚 appointment has uncovered another shonky deal 鈥 the appointment of the agent-general in London. Stephen Cartwright, a late entrant, had his candidate brief 鈥渕assaged鈥澛爐o be appointed, the inquiry heard. Cartwright is a former head of the NSW Business Chamber.
Another candidate had already been identified for the role, but Cartwright was belatedly 鈥渞ecommended into the process鈥 and ultimately handed the job. The inquiry heard that Cartwright had expected an $800,000 salary聽聽in negotiations over his contract and expenses.
It was told Cartwright invoked the premier and sought the intervention of former trade minister Stuart Ayres via WhatsApp over concerns about how his pay was structured.
Many, including former federal public servant , are arguing that state government offices overseas are a waste of public money and should be abandoned.聽鈥淭he States are better than the Commonwealth in such matters as health and education,鈥澛燤enadue wrote. 鈥淭hey should stick to their knitting and stop deluding themselves about their overseas role.鈥