
Pro-Palestine protesters came out once again, around Australia, on January 19 to express their guarded relief at news of a ceasefire deal coming into force on Israel鈥檚 471st day of genocide. A fragile ceasefire came into effect in Gaza that day.
Over the preceding days, corporate media figures tried to browbeat Palestine supporters into not going ahead with the rallies. 鈥淲hy won鈥檛 a ceasefire be enough to keep you guys home on a Sunday?鈥 听3AW鈥檚 Heidi Murphy of Nasser Mashni, from the Australia Palestine Advocacy Network.
Israel had intensified its attacks in the days leading up to the ceasefire, while also delaying it on the day. Mariam Barghouti, Palestinian journalist and policy analyst, that 鈥淧alestinian detainees are being released now, at 1.19am when the at 4pm.鈥
鈥淚sraeli forces are now firing at press personnel with teargas and obstructed their coverage,鈥 she said, adding听that Israeli police were stationed at the home of every detainee. 鈥淭here are clear orders of no celebration allowed tonight.鈥
Protesters across Australia expressed guarded relief and resolved to ensure Israel abides by the ceasefire. They said they would continue campaigning听until Palestine is free.
Despite Israel鈥檚 devastation of Gaza, the Palestinian resistance has not been defeated after 16 months of genocide.
Gaza-based Palestinian journalist Abubaker Abed told the on January 19 that 鈥減eople today are just happy, so jubilant ... the children, this is the first time they鈥檙e playing outside鈥.
He described people going back to their 鈥渉omes鈥, to find them flattened, and mourning their family members who had been killed.
Ahead of the ceasefire, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that the outgoing and incoming United States presidents supported Israel鈥檚 鈥渞ight鈥 to 鈥渞esume鈥 the war after the first phase of the ceasefire (involving exchange of captives) was over.
This, along with Israel鈥檚 ,听creates a justifiable fear that the ceasefire could be short lived.
israelisaterrorstate19-1-25bypeterboyle.jpg

The fact that Israel had consistently rejected a ceasefire deal since May, with virtually identical terms, reveals that it didn鈥檛 want to agree to these terms.
Nevertheless, Electronic Intifada鈥檚 Ali Abunimah went 鈥渙ut on a limb鈥 to argue that the ceasefire is likely to hold, while also acknowledging that 鈥渨e don鈥檛 know what is going to happen鈥.
He said the Israeli Defense Forces are 鈥渂roken and demoralised鈥, and reservists are not showing up for duty. Tens of thousands of soldiers have been injured and their munitions and military vehicles are also depleted. They don't have a plan to defeat the Palestinian resistance, so any resumption of war would just be 鈥渕ore of the same鈥, he said.
While Israeli polls had once shown majority support for ongoing genocide, this is no longer the case.听听said听recent polls show that 鈥渁 clear majority 鈥 between 60 and 70 percent, or even higher 鈥 supports ending the war鈥.
Thus, the war in Gaza has become a 鈥渂urden on the government, the military, and society as a whole鈥.
Abunimah also cited an which reported that Steve Witkoff, Trump鈥檚 envoy to the Middle East, 鈥減lans to be a near-constant presence in the region in an attempt to prevent the deal from unraveling鈥.
While Trump has zero sympathy for Palestinians, these factors suggest that his administration judges that Israel鈥檚 ongoing genocide is not in the interests of US imperialism.
Abunimah said听Al Jazeera听showed 鈥渟cenes of winners, of people feeling like they鈥檝e won鈥. 鈥淚t鈥檚 not us saying to people in Gaza 鈥榶ou won鈥 and people in Gaza saying 鈥榦h, look at our misery, how can you say this is a victory鈥. No, it is people in Gaza saying 鈥榳e won鈥.鈥
Abunimah said this is not a victory 鈥渋n the sense that we overthrew Israel and returned to our homes鈥, but that 鈥渨e survived and prevailed over the empire, over the arsenal of the United States airlifted 24/7, and that is not a small thing鈥.
sydneyrally19-1-25bypeterboyle.jpg

Peter Boyle reports that thousands joined the march in Gadigal Country/Sydney on January 19.听Rally co-chair Jana Fayyad said Palestinians were taking 鈥渁 breath of relief鈥 and thinking 鈥渙f every Palestinian that has sacrificed their life, their homes, their families, their right to a dignified life to reach this moment鈥.
Jews Against the Occupation activist Michelle Berkon told 一品探花 that the ceasefire should be welcomed as a 鈥渞eprieve for the people of Gaza鈥, but warned that 鈥渨e don鈥檛 trust Israel as far as we can throw it, it鈥檚 violated every ceasefire deal it鈥檚 ever been signatory too鈥.
Academic and anti-Zionist Jewish activist Peter Slezak told GL听the ceasefire was an 鈥渆normous relief鈥. 鈥淭he big worry is whether it lasts听鈥 past ceasefires have been violated by Israel.鈥
鈥淭he ultra-right national leadership of Israel did not want to end the genocide, so we have to keep up the pressure.鈥
Slezak said the vast reconstruction job and urgent need to get aid into Gaza meant the international solidarity movement must continue.
marching19-1-25bypeterboyle.jpg

鈥淚t鈥檚 very important for the worldwide protests to continue ... the oppression, dispossession and brutality is continuing, particularly in the West Bank.
鈥淚t鈥檚 not over; the fact that there is a ceasefire does not mean we should stop our political activism.鈥
Socialist Alliance and City of Sydney for Palestine activist Rachel Evans said the 鈥渋ncredibly powerful mass movement has forced Israel to concede on the ceasefire鈥, but that听鈥渨e have to be ever vigilant and keep mobilising鈥.
outsideparliament19-1-25bypeterboyle.jpg

The protesters stopped in front of New South Wales Parliament to condemn NSW Labor for its multiple attempts to ban protests against the genocide. They vowed to听keep marching until Palestine is liberated, Israeli officials are held accountable and Australia cuts ties with the Zionist state.
The rally ended with music and dancing, celebrating the end of the bombing.
holdingceasefirebanner19-1-25byalexbainbridge-web.jpg

Activists at the Magan-djin/Brisbane rally, underway when the ceasefire was due to come into effect, experienced the collective feeling of solidarity but also the disappointments as the reports of delays and killings were received in real time.
Justice for Palestine leader and Greens candidate Remah Naji said people who joined the 鈥渆xtraordinary鈥 solidarity movement against Israel鈥檚 devastating genocide have had their 鈥渆yes opened鈥. She said she is worried that a 鈥渟low genocide will continue鈥, despite the ceasefire and that it is 鈥渦p to us鈥 to hold Israel to account.
First Nations activist听听thanked the Palestinian community for its solidarity with the First Nations鈥 struggle and pledged ongoing solidarity for Palestine at Invasion Day.
Binil Mohideen paid tribute to the 鈥渁udacity and courage of the Indigenous people in a tiny strip of land called Gaza鈥. This resistance 鈥渃hallenged the most brutal, immoral army鈥 and 鈥渂rought an entire, evil colonial structure down to its knees鈥.
forgetemptywords19-1-25byalexbainbridge-web.jpg

He said that while 鈥渢he fire may have ceased ... the genocide hasn鈥檛 stopped鈥.
At the end of the march, when the ceasefire had come into effect, Phil Monsour from Justice for Palestine told the crowd that just in the last 20 minutes, 鈥渢he apartheid state has killed three people in Gaza city and using drones, they鈥檝e also wounded three Palestinians in eastern Gaza City鈥.
breaktieswithisrael19-1-25byalexbainbridge-web.jpg

鈥淚 don鈥檛 tell you this to send you home in despair,鈥 Monsour said, 鈥淚 tell you this so that we understand the true character of what we鈥檙e facing ...听we need to dig deep in our hearts and resolve that we will not stop because otherwise [Israel] will just keep doing this.鈥
resistanceuntilliberation19-1-25bychloeds.jpeg

Thousands 听in Naarm/Melbourne on January 19, for the 67th consecutive week.听
jewsforpalestine20-1-25byjewsforpalestine.jpg

听in Boorloo/Perth on January 20, despite the 42掳C heat, to show solidarity with Palestinians and that they will continue to hold the Australian government to account for its complicity in genocide.
wollongongsolidarity18-01-24.jpg

Activists marched in Tharawal/Wollongong on January 18 and in Muloobinba/Newcastle听on January 19, from where Niko Leka reports the听protest honoured Palestinians killed in Gaza over the past 16 months.
They unfurled four 10-metre banners with the names of just some of the martyrs. They honoured those names and the thousands more lost to disease and starvation, under the rubble, vapourised or otherwise unable to be found. The vigil was followed by a rally and march that declared: 鈥淲e will not stop; We will not rest; Until Palestine is free.鈥
The ceasefire was discussed on the on January 21.
evenmorewollongong18-1-24.jpg

propalestinewollongong18-1-24.jpg

freepalestinecongosudan19-1-25bychloeds.jpeg

nowforliberation19-1-25bychloeds.jpeg

justiceforscholasticide19-1-25bychloeds.jpeg

stopbombinghospitals19-1-25bychloeds.jpeg

freepalestine20-1-25byjewsforpalestinefb.jpg

stopaukuswa20-1-25byjewsforpalestinefb.jpg

childonshoulders19-1-25byalexbainbridge-web.jpg

glorytothemartyrs19-1-25byalexbainbridge-web.jpg
