Venezuela: Opposition leader freed in midst of election infighting

November 11, 2017
Issue 
A violent protest as part of Venezuela's right-wing opposition's failed attempt to bring down the government earlier this year.

A high profile member of the ultra right-wing Popular Will (VP) party, Yon Goicoechea, was freed by Venezuelan authorities聽on November 4 after more than a year behind bars.

Goicoechea was arrested last August by national security forces for the alleged possession of explosive devices, just two days before an opposition march.聽

Since being granted conditional release, Goicoechea has confirmed his candidacy for the mayoralty of the wealthy municipality of El Hatillo, despite his party calling for a boycott of upcoming elections.聽

Venezuela鈥檚 National Electoral Council (CNE) announced last month that municipal elections to choose 335 mayors will take place on聽December 10.

The three聽largest opposition parties 鈥 Democratic Action (AD), First Justice (PJ) and VP 鈥 have refused to stand candidates and threatened to expel members that participate.

Nonetheless, several opposition figures have defied their parties鈥 leaders to stand in the upcoming municipal elections on tickets belonging to other opposition groups. The fourth-largest party of the coalition, A New Era (UNT), has also decided to field candidates.聽

Goicoechea confirmed on November 7 that he will run on聽Progressive Advance鈥檚 ticket and said he believed it was a mistake for the opposition not to participate in the elections. He told the media he had 鈥渢actical differences鈥 with the VP leadership.聽

鈥淚 think it is a huge error for us not to go to municipal elections now, and then in February participate in the presidential elections,鈥 he told Globovision.聽

It is unknown whether Goicoechea will be expelled from VP or whether he has already left the party.

But VP parliamentarian Juan Andres Mejia said the party 鈥渞ejected鈥 Goicoechea鈥檚 candidacy, describing it as a government ploy to 鈥渄ivide and discredit鈥 the opposition.聽

The main聽opposition聽coalition, the Democratic Unity Roundtable (MUD), suffered a heavy defeat in regional elections on October 15, managing to scrape just five governorships against the government鈥檚 18.

The alliance was subsequently thrown into chaos when four out of its five elected governors for the AD party decided to flout the MUD leadership鈥檚 decision to boycott the pro-government National Constituent Assembly (ANC), instead accepting to swear in before it.聽

UNT founder and former presidential candidate Manual Rosales also decided to rebel against the MUD鈥檚 decision by registering as a candidate for the state governorship of Zulia.聽

Regional elections in the border state will be repeated on聽December 10, after the victorious PJ candidate, Juan Pablo Guanipa, refused to swear in before the ANC.聽

Rosales' campaign for the Zulia governorship comes on the back of several tumultuous years for the politician, who was arrested in 2015 when he returned from self-imposed exile in Peru.

The former mayor of the capital of Zulia, Maracaibo, fled the Venezuelan justice system in 2009 after being charged with corruption and the misuse of public funds by the attorney general.

He was released in December 2016, while a ban on him holding political office was recently lifted by the Supreme Court.

Rosales told media earlier that he would not 鈥渁bandon鈥 the state, but his candidacy has since been attacked as 鈥渧ile鈥 by PJ and VP.聽They also accused Rosales of attempting to 鈥渢rick鈥 the people of Zulia and 鈥減lay the government鈥檚 game鈥.聽

The opposition coalition is facing its biggest crisis in years over the best way to oust Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro. While some opposition leaders prefer the ballot box, others want to force Maduro to abandon the presidency through violent street protest.

Between April and July, opposition leaders backed deadly anti-government demonstrations that claimed the lives of more than 125 people, but failed to unseat Maduro.

Though calm returned to Venezuela鈥檚 streets after the election of delegates to the ANC at the end of July, government spokespeople have warned that the opposition could reignite its regime change campaign against the elected president.聽

Energy Minister Luis Motta Dominguez told the media on November 7 that assailants suspected to be allied to the opposition had set fire to the state electricity company CORPOLEC's regional headquarters in Tachira.

A government health clinic inside the compound had to be evacuated in response.

The minister described the arson attack as a 鈥減aramilitary and terrorist鈥 act. He said he believed it was related to the MUD鈥檚 decision to boycott municipal elections.聽

[Abridged from .]

You need 一品探花, and we need you!

一品探花 is funded by contributions from readers and supporters. Help us reach our funding target.

Make a One-off Donation or choose from one of our Monthly Donation options.

Become a supporter to get the digital edition for $5 per month or the print edition for $10 per month. One-time payment options are available.

You can also call 1800 634 206 to make a donation or to become a supporter. Thank you.