Lockheed Martin deletes Australian F-35 ties from website

June 18, 2024
Issue 
F-35 fighter jets. Photo: Lockheed Martin

The world鈥檚 biggest weapons manufacturer, Lockheed Martin, has deleted from its website details about Australia鈥檚 key role in building F-35 fighter jets, which Israel is using to bomb Gaza.

Among details quietly scrubbed from Lockheed Martin鈥檚 site are that Australian businesses are supplying components 鈥渇or the entire F-35 fleet鈥 and that: 鈥淓very F-35 built contains some Australian parts and components.鈥

The material was included in the section 鈥淚ndustrial Partnerships鈥, which has been deleted entirely, sometime between March 15 and April 7.

Around that time, Lockheed Martin and the Anthony Albanese government were under heavy scrutiny following a February Senate hearing in which the supply of 鈥渨eapons鈥 to Israel was hotly contested, specifically F-35 parts and components.

The deleted 鈥淚ndustrial Partnerships鈥 section of the Lockheed Martin site states: 鈥淎s a programme partner, Australian businesses are supplying components for the entire F-35 fleet, not just Australian aircraft.鈥

It continues: 鈥淚n total, more than 70 Australian companies have been awarded export contracts valued at AU$4.13 billion.鈥

Web archive WayBack Machine, which sporadically screenshots webpages, shows the 鈥淚ndustrial Partnerships鈥 section , but had , the next time it screenshot the page.

deleted_from_lockheed_martins_f-35_website_source_wayback_machine.png

Deleted from Lockheed Martin鈥檚 F-35 website. Source: WayBack Machine

Also deleted from the site is a profile of Melbourne F-35 parts manufacturer Marand Precision Engineering, which supplies the F-35 鈥済lobal fleet鈥 with an 鈥渆ngine removal and installation mobility trailer鈥 comprised of 鈥渁round 12,000 individual parts鈥.

The Marand article was on the Lockheed site when the Wayback Machine took a , but it had been deleted by the time of the next .

Lockheed Martin鈥檚 page information relating to the Australian Defence Force鈥檚 F-35 program.

deleted_from_lockheed_martins_f-35_website_2_source_wayback_machine.png

Deleted from Lockheed Martin鈥檚 website, the key F-35 role of Melbourne鈥檚 Marand. Source: WayBack Machine

NSW Greens Senator David Shoebridge tried (and failed) to move a motion in the Senate on 聽that accused the federal government of being 鈥渃ontent to send weapons and weapons parts to Israel to literally fuel the genocide鈥.

Participating in a , Shoebridge asked Hugh Jeffrey, a Department of Defence deputy secretary, on February 14: 鈥淒o you consider parts of an F35 fighter jet, such as the parts manufactured in Australia and used on Israeli Defence Force fighter jets to open the bomb bay doors, to be weapons?鈥

Jeffrey responded: 鈥淎 pencil is used for writing. It鈥檚 not designed in and of itself to be a weapon, but it can be, if you want to use it as a weapon.鈥

Shoebridge responded: 鈥淏omb bay doors are generally used to release bombs.鈥

Jeffrey said that under the UN definition 鈥渨eapons are defined as whole systems鈥, such as 鈥渁rmoured vehicles鈥, 鈥渢anks鈥 and 鈥渃ombat helicopters鈥.

The Albanese government has repeatedly said that no 鈥渨eapons鈥 have been sent to Israel for at least the past five years.

Focusing on the word 鈥渨eapons鈥 enables the government to ignore exports of 鈥渁mmunition/munitions鈥 and 鈥減arts and components鈥,聽all of which are covered by the聽, which Australia championed at the United Nations and ratified in 2014.

The Albanese government is coming under increasing pressure, with concerns mounting that Australia will be found to be because it has not ceased its military exports to Israel.

More than 2339聽public servants聽released a calling on the government to immediately stop all military exports to Israel.

The Department of Defence has admitted it approved two new export permits to Israel after the October 7 attack.

In a on February 14, Jeffrey said: 鈥淭wo export permits have been granted since the time of the last estimates鈥, the date of which was .

The permits were approved between October 25 and October 31. Jeffrey refused to say what items the new permits covered.

The Defence Department and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade have also refused to answer questions about whether approved military export permits that were in place before the Hamas attacks have been suspended.

More than supply parts and components into the global supply chain of the F-35.

Several companies are the sole source of the parts they produce. Without them, new F-35 jets cannot be built, nor can parts be replaced.

In December last year a US Congressional revealed that the F-35 joint program office had been moving 鈥渁t a breakneck speed to support 鈥 Israel 鈥 by increasing spare part supply rates鈥. [Emphasis added.]

The Defence Department issued a 聽on October 30 trumpeting the important role played by Australian industry in the production and maintenance of the global F-35 fleet.

The release announced that Melbourne company Rosebank Engineering had established an important repair depot under the F-35 global support solution for aircraft operating in or deployed to the Indo-Pacific region.

Rosebank Engineering and the Defence Department had partnered with the US F-35 joint program office and Lockheed Martin to establish the new facility.

Rosebank has been part of the F-35 supply chain since 2004 and now manufactures for the landing gear and weapons bay systems on the F-35, including the components that enable the bombs to be dropped on Gaza. Rosebank (formerly RUAG Australia) is the of the F-35鈥檚 鈥渦plock actuators鈥 that open and close the F-35鈥檚 weapons bay doors.

Sydney-based Quickstep Holdings is another long-term supplier to the F-35 program.

In December 2020, it it had produced its 10,000th component 鈥 just 20% of its commitment to the program. Quickstep manufactures more than 50 components and assemblies, worth about $440,000 in each F-35, it says.

Lockheed Martin also Queensland鈥檚 Ferra Engineering in providing products for the F-35 since 2004 and said it remained a vital partner.

Rosebank Engineering, Quickstep Holdings and Ferra Engineering have all supplied parts and components into the F-35鈥檚 supply chain during the past five years.

[Michelle Fahy is an independent investigative reporter on the weapons industry and its close connections with the Australian government. Her work is available . This article was first published at on June 5 and is reprinted with permission.]

You need 一品探花, and we need you!

一品探花 is funded by contributions from readers and supporters. Help us reach our funding target.

Make a One-off Donation or choose from one of our Monthly Donation options.

Become a supporter to get the digital edition for $5 per month or the print edition for $10 per month. One-time payment options are available.

You can also call 1800 634 206 to make a donation or to become a supporter. Thank you.